- thrombosis). The clots can break off, travel through the bloodstream and lodge in any artery of the body (thromboembolism) and impair the normal circulation within these tissues. Thrombophilia can be inherited or acquired.
* * *A disorder of the hemopoietic system in which there is a tendency to the occurrence of thrombosis. [thrombo- + G. philos, fond]
* * *throm·bo·phil·ia -'fil-ē-ə n a hereditary or acquired predisposition to thrombosis
* * *n.an inherited or acquired condition that predisposes individuals to thrombosis.
* * *throm·bo·phil·ia (throm″bo-filґe-ə) [thrombo- + -philia] a tendency to the occurrence of thrombosis. It can be familial, occurring as a multifactorial trait and resulting from mutation in any of numerous clotting, anticoagulant, or thrombolytic factors, either alone or in combination with each other or with various environmental factors.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Thrombophilia — Classification and external resources … Wikipedia
thrombophilia — noun The tendency to develop thrombosis (blood clots) due to an abnormality in the system of coagulation. The patient needed to take blood thinners to prevent clots from thrombophilia. Syn: hypercoagulability … Wiktionary
thrombophilia — n. an inherited or acquired condition that predisposes individuals to thrombosis … The new mediacal dictionary
thrombophilia — /θrɒmboʊˈfɪliə/ (say thromboh fileeuh), / ˈfil / (say feel ), / jə/ (say yuh) noun a disorder brought on by inherited or acquired conditions in which there is an increased tendency for excessive blood clotting leading to the formation of clots in … Australian English dictionary
thrombophilia — thrombophilˈia noun An abnormal tendency to develop blood clots • • • Main Entry: ↑thrombo … Useful english dictionary
National Alliance for Thrombosis and Thrombophilia — The National Alliance for Thrombosis and Thrombophilia (NATT) is a nationwide not for profit alliance of patients and medical professionals committed to raising awareness about thrombosis and thrombophilia and is dedicated to preventing and… … Wikipedia
тромбофилия — (thrombophilia; тромбо + греч. philia любовь, склонность) патологическое состояние, характеризующееся значительным повышением свертываемости крови; проявляется признаками тромбоза … Большой медицинский словарь
Тромбофили́я — (thrombophilia; Тромбо + греч. philia любовь, склонность) патологическое состояние, характеризующееся значительным повышением свертываемости крови; проявляется признаками тромбоза … Медицинская энциклопедия
Coagulation — This article is about blood clotting. For other meanings see Coagulation (disambiguation). Coagulation is a complex process by which blood forms clots. It is an important part of hemostasis, the cessation of blood loss from a damaged vessel,… … Wikipedia
Osteonecrosis of the jaw — Osteonecrosis of the jaws Classification and external resources Osteonecrosis of the jaw of the upper left jaw in a patient diagnosed with chronic venous insufficiency ICD 10 M … Wikipedia