- A surgical technique whereby a doctor inserts a tube-like instrument into a joint to inspect, diagnose and repair tissues. It is most commonly performed in patients with diseases of the knees or shoulders. The adjective “arthroscopic” is often confused with “orthoscopic” Orthoscopic means having correct vision or producing it; and free from optical distortion or designed to correct distorted vision. This fits with the prefix “ortho-“, meaning straight or erect, and “-scopic” from the Greek “skopein”, to see. Orthoscopic literally is to see straight. Knee surgery performed with a small scope is arthroscopic
* * *Endoscopic examination of the interior of a joint. SYN: arthroendoscopy. [arthro- + G. skopeo, to view]
* * *ar·thros·co·py är-'thräs-kə-pē n, pl -pies examination of a joint with an arthroscope also joint surgery using an arthroscopear·thro·scop·ic .är-thrə-'skäp-ik adj
* * *n.inspection of a joint cavity with an arthroscope, enabling percutaneous surgery (such as meniscectomy) and biopsy to be performed.
* * *ar·thros·copy (ahr-throsґkə-pe) examination of the interior of a joint with an arthroscope.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Arthroscopy — Intervention An example of shoulder arthroscopy. The surgeon looks at a video screen which is connected to a camera that is inserted into the body, together with working instruments. ICD 9 CM … Wikipedia
arthroscopy — (n.) by 1977, from Mod.L. arthroscopia, from comb. form of Gk. arthron a joint (see ARTHRO (Cf. arthro )) + scopia (see SCOPE (Cf. scope)) … Etymology dictionary
arthroscopy — noun a minimally invasive operation to repair a damaged joint; the surgeon examines the joint with an arthroscope while making repairs through a small incision • Hypernyms: ↑operation, ↑surgery, ↑surgical operation, ↑surgical procedure, ↑surgical … Useful english dictionary
arthroscopy — noun Date: 1931 examination of a joint with an arthroscope; also surgery on a joint using an arthroscope … New Collegiate Dictionary
arthroscopy — arthroscopic /ahr threuh skop ik/, adj. /ahr thros keuh pee/, n. the use of an arthroscope to diagnose an injury to or disease of a joint or to perform minor surgery on a joint. [1930 35; ARTHRO + SCOPY] * * * … Universalium
arthroscopy — noun the examination of the interior of a joint (such as the knee) using an arthroscope See Also: arthroscopic … Wiktionary
arthroscopy — ar·thros·co·py … English syllables
arthroscopy — n. inspection of a joint cavity with an arthroscope, enabling percutaneous surgery (such as meniscectomy) and biopsy to be performed … The new mediacal dictionary
arthroscopy — /aˈθrɒskəpi / (say ah throskuhpee) noun (plural arthroscopies) Medicine 1. the examination of a joint using an arthroscope. 2. Also, arthroscopic debridement. the use of this technique to facilitate the removal of damaged tissue or foreign matter … Australian English dictionary
Kreuzbandriss — Klassifikation nach ICD 10 S83.50 Nicht näher bezeichnetes Kreuzband Inkl.: Kreuzbandriss o.n.A. S83.53 Riss des vorderen Kreuzbandes Inkl.: Partieller oder kompletter R … Deutsch Wikipedia