- EEG) to record electrical brain activity.
Next came the development of cerebral angiography to see the blood vessels in the brain. The invention of computerized axial tomography (the CAT scan) in the early 1970s and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) imaging in the 1980s permitted detailed noninvasive views of the brain. Specific drug therapies have been introduced to treat neurological conditions. The future form of neurology will be shaped by knowledge of the human genome and proteome.
* * *The branch of medical science concerned with the various nervous systems (central, peripheral, and autonomic), plus the neuromuscular junction and muscle, and their disorders. [neuro- + G. logos, study]
* * *neu·rol·o·gy -jē n a branch of medicine concerned esp. with the structure, functions, and diseases of the nervous system
* * *n.the study of the structure, functioning, and diseases of the nervous system (including the brain, spinal cord, and all the peripheral nerves).• neurological adj.• neurologist n.
* * *neu·rol·o·gy (n-rolґə-je) [neuro- + -logy] the medical specialty that deals with the nervous system, both normal and in disease. neurologic adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Neurology — Beschreibung Fachzeitschrift Fachgebiet Neurologie Sprache Englisch Verlag Lippincott Will … Deutsch Wikipedia
Neurology — Neu*rol o*gy, n. [Neuro + logy.] The branch of science which treats of the nervous system. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
neurology — (n.) scientific study of the nervous system, 1680s, from Mod.L. neurologia, from Mod.Gk. neurologia (1660s), from neuro (see NEURO (Cf. neuro )) + logia study (see LOGY (Cf. logy)). Related: Neurological … Etymology dictionary
neurology — ► NOUN ▪ the branch of medicine and biology concerned with the nervous system. DERIVATIVES neurological adjective neurologist noun … English terms dictionary
neurology — [noo räl′ə jē, nyooräl′ə jē] n. [ModL neurologia: see NEURO & LOGY] the branch of medicine dealing with the nervous system, its structure, and its diseases neurological [noor΄ə läj′i kəl, nyoor΄əläj′i kəl] adj. neurologically adv. neurologist n … English World dictionary
Neurology — For the journal, see Neurology (journal). Neurologist Occupation Names Physician, Medical Practitioner Activity sectors Medicine Description Education required M.D. , D.V.M. or D.O. (US), M.B. B.S. (UK), M.B. B.Ch. B.A.O. (Republic of Ireland)… … Wikipedia
neurology — neurological /noor euh loj i keuhl, nyoor /, adj. neurologically, adv. /noo rol euh jee, nyoo /, n. the science of the nerves and the nervous system, esp. of the diseases affecting them. [1675 85; < NL neurologia. See NEURO , LOGY] * * * Medical… … Universalium
neurology — [[t]njʊərɒ̱ləʤi, AM nʊr [/t]] N UNCOUNT Neurology is the study of the structure, function, and diseases of the nervous system. [MEDICAL] He trained in neurology at the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases. Derived words: neurologist plural N… … English dictionary
neurology — noun Etymology: New Latin neurologia, from neur + logia logy Date: circa 1681 the scientific study of the nervous system especially in respect to its structure, functions, and abnormalities • neurological or neurologic adjective • neurologically… … New Collegiate Dictionary
neurology — noun /nʊˈrɒlədʒi/ The branch of medicine that deals with the disorders of nervous system. See Also: neuritis, neurological, neurologist, neuroscience … Wiktionary