- Hardening (sclerosis) of the kidney usually due to disease of the blood vessels in it from atherosclerosis.
* * *Fibrosis of the kidney from overgrowth and contraction of the interstitial connective tissue. [nephro- + G. sklerosis, hardening]- arterial n. patchy atrophic scarring of the kidney due to arteriosclerotic narrowing of the lumens of large branches of the renal artery, occurring in old or hypertensive persons and occasionally causing hypertension. SYN: arterionephrosclerosis, senile n..- arteriolar n. renal scarring due to arteriolar sclerosis resulting from longstanding hypertension; the kidneys are finely granular and mildly or moderately contracted, with hyaline thickening of the walls of afferent glomerular arterioles and hyaline scarring of scattered glomeruli; chronic renal failure develops infrequently. SYN: arteriolonephrosclerosis, benign n..- malignant n. the renal changes in malignant hypertension; subcapsular petechiae, necrosis in the walls of scattered afferent glomerular arterioles, and red blood cells and casts in the urine, with uremia as a common termination.
* * *neph·ro·scle·ro·sis .nef-rō-sklə-'rō-səs n, pl -ro·ses -.sēz hardening of the kidney specif a condition that is characterized by sclerosis of the renal arterioles with reduced blood flow and contraction of the kidney, that is associated usu. with hypertension, and that terminates in renal failure and uremia compare NEPHRITISneph·ro·scle·rot·ic -'rät-ik adj
* * *n.hardening of the arteries and arterioles of the kidneys. Arteriolar nephrosclerosis is associated with hypertension.
* * *neph·ro·scle·ro·sis (nef″ro-sklə-roґsis) [nephro- + sclerosis] sclerosis or hardening of the kidney, usually due to renovascular disease.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nephrosclerosis — vgl. Nephrosklerose … Das Wörterbuch medizinischer Fachausdrücke
nephrosclerosis — ▪ pathology hardening of the walls of the small arteries and arterioles (small arteries that convey blood from arteries to the even smaller capillaries) of the kidney. This condition is caused by hypertension (high blood pressure).… … Universalium
nephrosclerosis — n. hardening of the arteries and arterioles of the kidneys. Arteriolar nephrosclerosis is associated with hypertension … The new mediacal dictionary
nephrosclerosis — noun arteriosclerosis of the renal arteries … Wiktionary
nephrosclerosis — n. sclerosis of the kidneys, hardening of the kidneys (Pathology) … English contemporary dictionary
nephrosclerosis — neph·ro·sclerosis … English syllables
nephrosclerosis — noun kidney disease that is usually associated with hypertension; sclerosis of the renal arterioles reduces blood flow that can lead to kidney failure and heart failure • Syn: ↑nephroangiosclerosis • Hypernyms: ↑kidney disease, ↑renal disorder,… … Useful english dictionary
arteriolar nephrosclerosis — nephrosclerosis of arterioles; it usually has an insidious onset and is often associated with hypertension, cylindruria, edema, hypertrophy of the heart, degeneration of renal tubules, and glomerulonephritis, resulting in renal insufficiency,… … Medical dictionary
malignant nephrosclerosis — malignant arteriolar nephrosclerosis a rare form of arteriolar nephrosclerosis affecting all the vessels of the body, especially small renal arteries and arterioles, often associated with malignant hypertension and hyperplastic arteriolosclerosis … Medical dictionary
benign nephrosclerosis — benign arteriolar nephrosclerosis a type of arteriolar nephrosclerosis usually seen in patients over 60 years old and associated with benign hypertension and hyaline arteriolosclerosis; in younger persons it may occur in diabetics with a… … Medical dictionary