- voice box). The laryngoscope is inserted through the mouth into the upper airway. History: The laryngoscope was invented in 1830 by Benjamin Guy Babington, a British physician who also first described the disease now called hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia and who made considerable contributions to epidemiology. (Babington in 1837 was appointed as physician to Guy's Hospital in London in preference to Thomas Hodgkin whose name is today associated with Hodgkin disease). Etymology: The word "laryngoscope" was compounded from "laryngo-" + the Greek "skopeo," to inspect = to inspect the larynx. The word "larynx" is a direct borrowing from the Greek for the upper part of the airway.
* * *- suspension l. support of the laryngoscope by leverage from a supportive structure to provide maximum exposure of the pharyngeal cavity and larynx.
* * *lar·yn·gos·co·py .lar-ən-'gäs-kə-pē n, pl -pies examination of the interior of the larynx (as with a laryngoscope)
* * *n.examination of the larynx. This may be done indirectly using a small mirror or directly using a laryngoscope.
* * *lar·yn·gos·co·py (lar″ing-gosґkə-pe) [laryngo- + -scopy] examination of the interior of the larynx, especially that performed with the laryngoscope (direct laryngoscopy). laryngoscopic adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Laryngoscopy — Lar yn*gos co*py, n. The art of using the laryngoscope; investigations made with the laryngoscope. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
laryngoscopy — [lar΄in gäs′kə pē] n. examination of the larynx by means of a laryngoscope laryngoscopic [lə riŋ΄gō skäp′ik, lə riŋ΄gəskäp′ik] adj. laryngoscopical … English World dictionary
laryngoscopy — Examination of the larynx (voice box) with a mirror (indirect laryngoscopy) or with a laryngoscope (direct laryngoscopy) … English dictionary of cancer terms
laryngoscopy — noun see laryngoscope … New Collegiate Dictionary
laryngoscopy — /lar ing gos keuh pee/, n., pl. laryngoscopies. Med. an examination by means of a laryngoscope. [1860 65; LARYNGO + SCOPY] * * * … Universalium
laryngoscopy — noun The examination of the throat using a laryngoscope … Wiktionary
laryngoscopy — n. examination of the larynx by means of a laryngoscope (Medicine) … English contemporary dictionary
laryngoscopy — lar·yn·gos·co·py … English syllables
laryngoscopy — n. examination of the larynx. This may be done indirectly using a small mirror or directly using a laryngoscope … The new mediacal dictionary
laryngoscopy — noun see laryngoscope … Useful english dictionary