- voice box). The laryngoscope is inserted through the mouth into the upper airway. History: The laryngoscope was invented in 1830 by Benjamin Guy Babington, a British physician who also first described the disease now called hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia and who made considerable contributions to epidemiology. (Babington in 1837 was appointed as physician to Guy's Hospital in London in preference to Thomas Hodgkin whose name is today associated with Hodgkin disease). Etymology: The word "laryngoscope" was compounded from "laryngo-" + the Greek "skopeo," to inspect = to inspect the larynx. The word "larynx" is a direct borrowing from the Greek for the upper part of the airway.
* * *Any of several types of tubes, equipped with electrical lighting, used in examining or operating upon the interior of the larynx through the mouth. [laryngo- + G. skopeo, to inspect]
* * *la·ryn·go·scope lə-'riŋ-gə-.skōpalso -'rin-jə- n an endoscope for visually examining the interior of the larynxla·ryn·go·scop·ic -.riŋ-gə-'skäp-ik, -.rin-jə- or la·ryn·go·scop·i·cal -i-kəl adjla·ryn·go·scop·i·cal·ly -i-k(ə-)lē adv
* * *n.a device consisting of a handle and a curved blade, fitted with a light, for moving the tongue and epiglottis aside in order to inspect the larynx. It is used to aid insertion of an endotracheal tube (see intubation) or for simple examination.
* * *la·ryn·go·scope (lə-ringґgo-skōp) [laryngo- + -scope] an endoscope for use in direct visual examination of the larynx.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
laryngoscope — [ larɛ̃gɔskɔp ] n. m. • 1860; de laryngo et scope ♦ Méd. Appareil permettant d examiner la cavité laryngienne. N. f. LARYNGOSCOPIE . ● laryngoscope nom masculin Appareil qui permet d observer le larynx, la base de la langue et les sinus de l… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Laryngoscope — avec lame de type McIntosh Laryngoscope pédiatrique, la lame est dro … Wikipédia en Français
Laryngoscope — La*ryn go*scope, n. [Larynx + scope.] 1. (Surg.) An instrument, consisting of an arrangement of two mirrors, for reflecting light upon the larynx, and for examining its image. [Archaic] [1913 Webster] 2. (Med.) A type of endoscope having a light… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
laryngoscope — [lə riŋ′gə skōp΄] n. [ LARYNGO + SCOPE] an instrument for examining the interior of the larynx … English World dictionary
Laryngoscope — A laryngoscope (larynx+scope) is a medical instrument that is used to obtain a view of the vocal folds and the glottis, which is the space between the cords.Rigid laryngoscopeThere are many types of laryngoscopes. A rigid laryngoscope utilized by … Wikipedia
laryngoscope — A thin, tube like instrument used to examine the larynx (voice box). A laryngoscope has a light and a lens for viewing and may have a tool to remove tissue … English dictionary of cancer terms
laryngoscope — noun Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary Date: 1860 an endoscope for examining the interior of the larynx • laryngoscopy noun … New Collegiate Dictionary
LARYNGOSCOPE — n. m. T. de Médecine Instrument composé principalement d’un miroir pour voir dans le fond du larynx … Dictionnaire de l'Academie Francaise, 8eme edition (1935)
laryngoscope — laryngoscopic /leuh ring geuh skop ik/, adj. laryngoscopist /lar ing gos keuh pist/, n. /leuh ring geuh skohp /, n. Med. a rigid or flexible endoscope passed through the mouth and equipped with a source of light and magnification, for examining… … Universalium
laryngoscope — noun an endoscope used for viewing the interior of the larynx See Also: laryngoscopy … Wiktionary