- childbirth fever) was an iatrogenic infection; it was carried from one woman to another by the doctor before the days of antisepsis. If in the course of a procedure, an artery is nicked and bleeds, that is an iatrogenic accident.
* * *Denoting response to medical or surgical treatment, induced by the treatment itself; usually used for unfavorable responses. [iatro- + G. -gen, producing]
* * *iat·ro·gen·ic (.)ī-.a-trə-'jen-ikalso (.)ē- adj induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures <an \iatrogenic rash>iat·ro·gen·i·cal·ly -'jen-i-k(ə-)lē adv
* * *adj.describing a condition that has resulted from treatment, as either an unforeseen or inevitable side-effect.
* * *iat·ro·gen·ic (i-at″ro-jenґik) [iatro- + -genic] resulting from the activity of physicians.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
iatrogenic — disease. Disease caused by attempts at therapy … Dictionary of molecular biology
iatrogenic — (adj.) 1920, from IATRO (Cf. iatro ) + GENIC (Cf. genic) … Etymology dictionary
iatrogenic — [ī a΄trə jen′ik] adj. [ IATRO + GENIC] caused by medical treatment: said esp. of symptoms, ailments, or disorders induced by drugs or surgery … English World dictionary
iatrogenic — adjective Etymology: Greek iatros physician + English genic Date: 1924 induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures < an iatrogenic rash > • iatrogenesis noun • iatrogenically adverb … New Collegiate Dictionary
iatrogenic — adjective Induced by the words or actions of the physician. Another group argues that the diagnosis is being overused and that many of the diagnosed cases are iatrogenic, or unintentionally shaped or caused by the practitioner (Lilienfeld et al … Wiktionary
iatrogenic — i•at•ro•gen•ic [[t]aɪˌæ trəˈdʒɛn ɪk, iˌæ [/t]] adj. med induced unintentionally by the medical treatment of a physician: iatrogenic symptoms[/ex] • Etymology: 1920–25; < Gk iātró(s) healer + genic i•at ro•gen′e•sis ə sɪs n … From formal English to slang
iatrogenic — iatrogenicity /uy a troh jeuh nis i tee, ee a /, n. /uy a treuh jen ik, ee a /, adj. (of a medical disorder) caused by the diagnosis, manner, or treatment of a physician. [1920 25; IATRO + GENIC] * * * … Universalium
iatrogènic — ia|tro|gè|nic Mot Pla Adjectiu variable … Diccionari Català-Català
iatrogenic — induced inadvertently by medical treatment Causation and Formation … Phrontistery dictionary
iatrogenic — adj. inadvertently caused by the diagnosis or treatment of a physician (of infections or symptoms) … English contemporary dictionary