- baby). Blundell is considered a founder of modern abdominal surgery.
* * *Removal of the uterus; unless otherwise specified, usually denotes complete removal of the uterus (corpus and cervix). [hystero- + G. ektome, excision]- abdominal h. removal of the uterus through an incision in the abominal wall. SYN: abdominohysterectomy.- abdominovaginal h. a combined vaginal and abdominal surgical approach that allows partial or complete removal of vagina, vulva, rectum, and perineum (abdominoperineal approach), as well as pelvic organs; usually done in cases of advanced pelvic cancer.- laparoscopic-assisted vaginal h. vaginal h. in which the ovarian pedicle, broad ligament, and uterosacral ligaments are surgically severed using laparoscopic instruments and the procedure completed through a colpotomy done in the typical fashion.- modified radical h. an extended h. in which a portion of the upper vagina is removed; the ureters are exposed and pulled back laterally without dissection from the ureteral bed. SYN: TeLinde operation.- subtotal h. SYN: supracervical h..- supracervical h. removal of the fundus of the uterus, leaving the cervix in situ. SYN: subtotal h..- vaginal h. removal of the uterus through the vagina without incising the wall of the abdomen. SYN: colpohysterectomy, vaginohysterectomy.
* * *hys·ter·ec·to·my .his-tə-'rek-tə-mē n, pl -mies surgical removal of the uterus see OVARIOHYSTERECTOMY, PANHYSTERECTOMY, RADICAL HYSTERECTOMY, SUPRACERVICAL HYSTERECTOMYhys·ter·ec·to·mized also Brit hys·ter·ec·to·mised -tə-.mīzd adj
* * *n.the surgical removal of the uterus, either through an incision in the abdominal wall (abdominal hysterectomy) or through the vagina (vaginal hysterectomy). Subtotal hysterectomy (rarely performed now) involves removing the body of the uterus but leaving the neck (cervix); in total hysterectomy the entire uterus is removed. The operation is performed for cancerous conditions affecting the uterus and for nonmalignant conditions (e.g. fibroids) in which there is excessive menstrual bleeding. Although pregnancy is no longer possible, hysterectomy does not affect sexual desire or activity.
* * *hys·ter·ec·to·my (his″tər-ekґtə-me) [hystero- + -ectomy] the operation of excising the entire uterus, performed either through the abdominal wall (abdominal h.) or through the vagina (vaginal h.).
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hysterectomy — Intervention ICD 9 CM 68.9 MeSH D007044 A hysterectomy (from Greek ὑστέρα hys … Wikipedia
hysterectomy — 1886, coined in English from Gk. hystera womb (see UTERUS (Cf. uterus)) + ECTOMY (Cf. ectomy) … Etymology dictionary
hysterectomy — ► NOUN (pl. hysterectomies) ▪ a surgical operation to remove all or part of the womb. ORIGIN from Greek hustera womb … English terms dictionary
hysterectomy — [his΄tər ek′tə mē] n. pl. hysterectomies [ HYSTER(O) + ECTOMY] surgical removal of all or part of the uterus … English World dictionary
hysterectomy — n. the surgical removal of the uterus, either through an incision in the abdominal wall (abdominal hysterectomy) or through the vagina (vaginal hysterectomy). Subtotal hysterectomy (rarely performed now) involves removing the body of the uterus… … The new mediacal dictionary
hysterectomy — /his teuh rek teuh mee/, n., pl. hysterectomies. Surg. excision of the uterus. [1885 90; HYSTER + ECTOMY] * * * Surgical removal of the uterus, either completely (total hysterectomy) or leaving the cervix (subtotal hysterectomy). It is performed… … Universalium
hysterectomy — n. 1) to do, perform a hysterectomy on 2) to have a hysterectomy * * * [ˌhɪstə rektəmɪ] perform a hysterectomy on to do to have a hysterectomy … Combinatory dictionary
hysterectomy — UK [ˌhɪstəˈrektəmɪ] / US noun [countable] Word forms hysterectomy : singular hysterectomy plural hysterectomies medical a medical operation for removing a woman s womb (= the part of her body where a baby can grow) … English dictionary
hysterectomy — Surgery to remove the uterus and, sometimes, the cervix. When the uterus and part or all of the cervix are removed, it is called a total hysterectomy. When only the uterus is removed, it is called a partial hysterectomy … English dictionary of cancer terms
hysterectomy — [[t]hɪ̱stəre̱ktəmi[/t]] hysterectomies N COUNT A hysterectomy is a surgical operation to remove a woman s womb … English dictionary