- Surgery to remove the bladder. Cystic fibrosis: A common genetic disease inherited as a recessive condition. Thick mucus can clog the lung passages and block the ducts of the pancreas in cystic fibrosis.
* * *1. Excision of the the urinary bladder. 2. Excision of the gallbladder (cholecystectomy). 3. Removal of a cyst. [cyst- + G. ektome, excision]
* * *1) the surgical excision of a cyst <ovarian \cystectomy>2) the removal of all or a portion of the urinary bladder
* * *n.surgical removal of the urinary bladder. This is necessary in the treatment of certain bladder conditions, notably cancer, and necessitates subsequent urinary diversion. The ureters draining the urine from the kidneys are reimplanted into an isolated segment of intestine (usually the ileum), which is brought to the skin surface as a spout (see ileal conduit). Alternatively, in bladder replacement, a segment of ileum or colon is reconstructed to form a pouch, which is anastomosed to the urethra and acts as a reservoir for the urine. Emptying may be achieved by abdominal straining or intermittent self-catheterization.
* * *cys·tec·to·my (sis-tekґtə-me) [cyst- + -ectomy] 1. excision of a cyst. 2. resection of the bladder.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cystectomy — Intervention ICD 9 CM 57.6 57.7 MeSH … Wikipedia
cystectomy — [sis tek′tə mē] n. pl. cystectomies [ CYST(O) + ECTOMY] 1. the surgical removal of a cyst 2. the surgical removal of the gallbladder or of part of the urinary bladder … English World dictionary
cystectomy — /si stek teuh mee/, n., pl. cystectomies. Surg. excision of a cyst or bladder, usually the urinary bladder. [1890 95; CYST + ECTOMY] * * * … Universalium
cystectomy — noun the act of surgically removing the bladder … Wiktionary
cystectomy — n. surgical removal of a cyst in the urinary bladder … English contemporary dictionary
cystectomy — [sɪs tɛktəmi] noun (plural cystectomies) 1》 a surgical operation to remove the urinary bladder. 2》 a surgical operation to remove an abnormal cyst … English new terms dictionary
cystectomy — cys·tec·to·my … English syllables
cystectomy — n. surgical removal of the urinary bladder. This is necessary in the treatment of certain bladder conditions, notably cancer, and necessitates subsequent urinary diversion. The ureters draining the urine from the kidneys are reimplanted into an… … The new mediacal dictionary
cystectomy — cys•tec•to•my [[t]sɪˈstɛk tə mi[/t]] n. pl. mies 1) srg the surgical removal of a cyst 2) srg the surgical removal of the urinary bladder • Etymology: 1890–95 … From formal English to slang
cystectomy — /sɪsˈtɛktəmi/ (say sis tektuhmee) noun (plural cystectomies) 1. surgical excision of a cyst. 2. excision of a bladder, usually the urinary bladder … Australian English dictionary