- : Treatment performed with an instrument that freezes and destroys abnormal tissue.
* * *An operation using freezing temperature (achieved by liquid nitrogen or carbon dioxide) as an independent agent or in an instrument to destroy tissue.
* * *cryo·sur·gery .krī-ō-'sərj-(ə-)rē n, pl -ger·ies surgery in which diseased or abnormal tissue (as a tumor or wart) is destroyed or removed by freezing (as by the use of liquid nitrogen)cryo·sur·gi·cal -ji-kəl adj
* * *n.the use of extreme cold in a localized part of the body to freeze and destroy unwanted tissues. Cryosurgery is usually undertaken with an instrument called a cryoprobe, which has a fine tip cooled by allowing carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide gas to expand within it. Cryosurgery is commonly used for the treatment of retinal detachment (see cryoretinopexy), the destruction of certain bone tumours, and the obliteration of skin blemishes.
* * *cryo·sur·gery (kri″o-surґjər-e) [cryo- + surgery] destruction of tissue by the application of extreme cold, used in some forms of intracranial and cutaneous surgery.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cryosurgery — (cryotherapy) is the application of extreme cold to destroy abnormal or diseased tissue. The term comes from the Greek words cryo (κρύο) ( icy cold ) and surgery (cheirourgiki χειρουργική) meaning hand work or handiwork . Cryosurgery has been… … Wikipedia
cryosurgery — [krī′ō sʉr΄jər ē] n. [ CRYO + SURGERY] surgery involving the selective destruction of tissues by freezing them, as with liquid nitrogen: also cryogenic surgery cryosurgical adj … English World dictionary
cryosurgery — n. the use of extreme cold in a localized part of the body to freeze and destroy unwanted tissues. Cryosurgery is usually undertaken with an instrument called a cryoprobe, which has a fine tip cooled by allowing carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide… … The new mediacal dictionary
cryosurgery — cryosurgical, adj. /kruy oh serr jeuh ree/, n. the use of extreme cold to destroy tissue for therapeutic purposes. [1960 65; CRYO + SURGERY] * * * therapeutic technique in which localized freezing is used to remove or destroy diseased… … Universalium
cryosurgery — noun Date: 1962 surgery in which usually diseased or abnormal tissue (as of a tumor or wart) is destroyed or removed by freezing (as by liquid nitrogen) • cryosurgeon noun • cryosurgical adjective … New Collegiate Dictionary
cryosurgery — noun The use of a probe containing liquid nitrogen to freeze and thus destroy tissue. See Also: cryosurgeon, cryosurgical … Wiktionary
cryosurgery — n. use of very low temperatures to destroy tissue … English contemporary dictionary
cryosurgery — noun surgery using the local application of intense cold to destroy unwanted tissue … English new terms dictionary
cryosurgery — cryo·surgery … English syllables
cryosurgery — cry•o•sur•ger•y [[t]ˌkraɪ oʊˈsɜr dʒə ri[/t]] n. srg the use of extreme cold to destroy tissue for therapeutic purposes • Etymology: 1960–65 cry o•sur′gi•cal, adj … From formal English to slang