- Any of the steroid hormones made by the cortex (outer layer) of the adrenal gland. Cortisol is a corticosteroid.
* * *A steroid produced by the adrenal cortex ( i.e., adrenal corticoid); a corticoid containing a steroid. SYN: adrenocorticoid, corticoid (3), cortin.
* * *cor·ti·co·ste·roid .kȯrt-i-kō-'sti(ə)r-.ȯidalso -'ste(ə)r- n any of various adrenal-cortex steroids (as corticosterone, cortisone, and aldosterone) that are divided on the basis of their major biological activity into glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids
* * *n.any steroid hormone synthesized by the adrenal cortex. There are two main groups of corticosteroids. The glucocorticoids (e.g. cortisol, cortisone, and corticosterone) are essential for the utilization of carbohydrate, fat, and protein by the body and for a normal response to stress. Naturally occurring and synthetic glucocorticoids have very powerful anti-inflammatory effects and are used to treat conditions that involve inflammation. The mineralocorticoids (e.g. aldosterone) are necessary for the regulation of salt and water balance.
* * *cor·ti·co·ster·oid (kor″tĭ-ko-sterґoid) any of the 21-carbon steroids elaborated by the adrenal cortex (excluding the sex hormones of adrenal origin) in response to corticotropin (ACTH) released by the pituitary gland or to angiotensin II. They are divided, according to their predominant biologic activity, into two major groups: glucocorticoids, chiefly influencing carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism, and mineralocorticoids, affecting the regulation of electrolyte and water balance. Some corticosteroids exhibit both types of activity in varying degrees, and others exert only one type of effect. They are used clinically for hormonal replacement therapy, for suppression of ACTH secretion by the anterior pituitary, as antineoplastic, antiallergic, and antiinflammatory agents, and to suppress immune responses. Called also adrenocorticoid, corticoid, adrenal cortical or adrenocortical steroid, and adrenocortical or cortical hormone.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
corticosteroid — CORTICOSTEROÍD, corticosteroizi, s.m. (biol.) Corticoid. [pr.: ro id] – Din fr. corticostéroïd. Trimis de IoanSoleriu, 09.01.2008. Sursa: DEX 98 CORTICOSTEROÍD s. v. corticoid. Trimis de siveco, 13.09.2007. Sursa: Sinonime corticosteroíd s … Dicționar Român
corticosteroid — n. a steroid compound produced by the adrenal cortex, or a synthetic analog of such a compound. Syn: corticoid. [WordNet 1.5] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Corticosteroid — vgl. Kortikosteroid … Das Wörterbuch medizinischer Fachausdrücke
corticosteroid — by 1945, from cortico , comb. form of L. cortex bark of a tree (see CORTEX (Cf. cortex)), applied since c.1890 to various surface structures of plants, animals, or organs + STEROID (Cf. steroid). So called because they are produced in the adrenal … Etymology dictionary
corticosteroid — [kôr΄ti kō΄stir′oid΄, kôr΄tikäs′tə roid΄] n. [ CORTICO + STEROID] any of the steroid hormones secreted by the adrenal cortex, or any compound derived from these or prepared synthetically and having a similar structure … English World dictionary
Corticosteroid — Corticosterone Corticosteroids are a class of steroid hormones that are produced in the adrenal cortex. Corticosteroids are involved in a wide range of physiologic systems such as stress response, immune response and regulation of inflammation,… … Wikipedia
corticosteroid — noun Date: 1944 any of various adrenal cortex steroids (as corticosterone, cortisone, and aldosterone) used medically especially as anti inflammatory agents compare glucocorticoid, mineralocorticoid … New Collegiate Dictionary
Corticosteroid — Corticosteroide (lat. cortex = Rinde; gr. stereos, στερεος = fest), kurz Corticoide oder Cortine, veraltet Kortikosteroide bzw. Kortikoide, sind eine Gruppe von ca. 50 in der Nebennierenrinde (NNR) gebildeten Steroidhormonen sowie chemisch… … Deutsch Wikipedia
corticosteroid — /kawr teuh koh ster oyd, stear /, n. Biochem. any of a class of steroids, as aldosterone, hydrocortisone, or cortisone, occurring in nature, esp. as a product of the adrenal cortex, or synthesized. Also called corticoid /kawr teuh koyd /. [1940… … Universalium
corticosteroid — noun a) Any of a group of steroid hormones, secreted by the adrenal cortex, that are involved in a large range of physiological systems. b) Any of several synthetic hormones of related structure … Wiktionary