- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Chronic lung disease in infants who have received mechanical respiratory support with high oxygenation in the neonatal period.
* * *bronchopulmonary dysplasia n a chronic lung condition that is caused by tissue damage to the lungs, is marked by inflammation, exudate, scarring, fibrosis, and emphysema, and usu. occurs in immature infants who have received mechanical ventilation and supplemental oxygen as treatment for respiratory distress syndrome
* * *a condition, seen usually in premature babies as a result of respiratory distress syndrome, requiring prolonged treatment with oxygen beyond the age of 28 days. The babies have overexpanded lungs, which on X-rays show characteristic changes. Management consists of oxygen support and treating infections. Recovery is slow, sometimes over several years, but most babies do recover.
* * *chronic lung disease of premature infants that results from disruption of immature lung structures and necessitates the use of supplemental oxygen for at least 28 days after birth. It can be caused by oxygen toxicity and barotrauma during mechanical ventilation, resulting in squamous metaplasia and peribronchiolar fibrosis. It can also be caused by antenatal exposure to factors that interfere with development of normal lung structure, leading to a reduced surface area available for gas exchange.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bronchopulmonary dysplasia — Infobox Disease Name = PAGENAME Caption = DiseasesDB = 1713 ICD10 = ICD10|P|27|1|p|20 ICD9 = ICD9|770.7 ICDO = OMIM = MedlinePlus = eMedicineSubj = ped eMedicineTopic = 289 MeshID = D001997 Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD; formerly Chronic Lung… … Wikipedia
bronchopulmonary dysplasia — a condition, seen usually in premature babies as a result of respiratory distress syndrome, requiring prolonged treatment with oxygen beyond the age of 28 days. The babies have overexpanded lungs, which on X rays show characteristic changes.… … The new mediacal dictionary
Dysplasia — Abnormal in form. From the Greek dys (bad, disordered, abnormal) and plassein (to form). For example, retinal dysplasia is abnormal formation of the retina during embryonic development. * * * Abnormal tissue development. SEE ALSO: heteroplasia.… … Medical dictionary
dysplasia — alloplasia; = heteroplasia; n. a premalignant condition characterized by abnormal development of epithelium, bone, or other tissues. See also: bronchopulmonary dysplasia, fibrous dysplasia Derivatives: dysplastic adj … The new mediacal dictionary
Dysplasia, bronchopulmonary — Chronic lung disease in infants who have received mechanical respiratory support with high oxygenation in the neonatal period … Medical dictionary
Oxygen toxicity — Classification and external resources In 1942–43 the UK Government carried out extensive testing for oxygen toxicity in divers. The chamber is pressurised with air to 3.7 … Wikipedia
List of diseases (B) — A listing of diseases in the English wikipedia.DiseasesTOC BaBab Bam* Baber s syndrome * Babesiosis * Bacterial endocarditis * Bacterial food poisoning * Bacterial gastroenteritis * Bacterial meningitis * Bacterial pneumonia * Bacterial vaginalis … Wikipedia
Bronchopulmonale Dysplasie — Klassifikation nach ICD 10 P27.1 Bronchopulmonale Dysplasie mit Ursprung in der Perinatalperiode … Deutsch Wikipedia
Preterm birth — Classification and external resources Intubated preterm baby in an incubator ICD 10 O … Wikipedia
Caffeine — This article is about the stimulant drug. For other uses, see Caffeine (disambiguation). Caffeine Systematic (IUPAC) name … Wikipedia