- : A slow heart rate, usually defined as less than 60 beats per minute. The word bradycardia is logically derived from two Greek roots: bradys, slow + cardia, heart = slow heart.
* * *Slowness of the heartbeat, usually defined (by convention) as a rate under 50 beats/min. SYN: brachycardia, bradyrhythmia. [brady- + G. kardia, heart]- central b. b. due to disease of the central nervous system, usually with increased intracranial pressure.- postinfectious b. a toxic b. occurring during convalescence from various infectious diseases, such as influenza.- ventricular b. slowness of ventricular rate, usually implying the presence of atrioventricular block.
* * *bra·dy·car·dia .brād-i-'kärd-ē-əalso .brad- n relatively slow heart action whether physiological or pathological compare TACHYCARDIA
* * *n.slowing of the heart rate to less than 50 beats per minute. Sinus bradycardia is often found in healthy individuals, especially athletes, but it is also seen in some patients with reduced thyroid activity, jaundice, hypothermia, or vasovagal attack. Bradycardia may also result from arrhythmia, especially complete heart block, when the slowing is often extreme and often causes loss of consciousness.
* * *brady·car·dia (brad″e-kahrґde-ə) [brady- + Gr. kardia heart] slowness of the heartbeat, as evidenced by slowing of the pulse rate to less than 60.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
bradycardia — [brad΄i kär′dē ə] n. [< BRADY + Gr kardia,HEART] abnormally slow heartbeat: below 60 beats per minute for an adult … English World dictionary
Bradycardia — SignSymptom infobox Name = Bradycardia ICD10 = ICD10|R|00|1|r|00 ICD9 = ICD9|427.81, ICD9|659.7, ICD9|785.9, ICD9|779.81 Bradycardia, as applied to adult medicine, is defined as a resting heart rate of under 60 beats per minute, though it is… … Wikipedia
bradycardia — bradycardic, adj. /brad i kahr dee euh/, n. Med. a slow heartbeat rate, usually less than 60 beats per minute. [1885 90; BRADY + CARDIA] * * * ▪ pathology type of arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm) characterized by slowing of the heart rate … Universalium
bradycardia — n. slowing of the heart rate to less than 50 beats per minute. Sinus bradycardia is often found in healthy individuals, especially athletes, but it is also seen in some patients with reduced thyroid activity, jaundice, hypothermia, or vasovagal… … The new mediacal dictionary
bradycardia — A distinctly slow heartbeat, which may be a normal idiosyncrasy or with causes ranging from regular strenuous exercise to abnormally slow heart stimulus to the side effects of medication. Bradycardia is usually defined as a pulse below sixty… … Herbal-medical glossary
bradycardia — noun Etymology: New Latin Date: circa 1890 relatively slow heart action compare tachycardia … New Collegiate Dictionary
bradycardia — Condition in which the heart beats unusually slowly. Opposite of tachycardia … Dictionary of molecular biology
bradycardia — noun The condition of having a slow heartbeat, defined as under 60 beats per minute for an adult. Syn: brachycardia … Wiktionary
bradycardia — n. unusually slow heartbeat … English contemporary dictionary
bradycardia — [ˌbradɪ kα:dɪə] noun Medicine abnormally slow heart action. Origin C19: from Gk bradus slow + kardia heart … English new terms dictionary